Friday, February 25, 2011

The "Less-is-More" Design Trend

One big design trend for 2011 is the small-space trend.  Newell Turner, the new editor of House Beautiful says, “I do believe in small spaces, and I don’t think you have to sacrifice to live in a small space”.  He said of his Hudson Valley house, “I wanted a small space because I wanted a house that served me, not one that I had to maintain”.

Personally, I am happy that Americans seem to be moving away from the idea that “bigger is better”.  I have lived in big homes that were very pretty, but I often felt overwhelmed by the amount of time and energy it took to keep those homes looking pretty.  The larger homes never had the warm and cozy feeling that my smaller home has.  I much prefer the cozy, smaller home where the focus can be on the architectural detailing.  When it comes to choosing a home, less really is more because less means more time to spend doing the things you enjoy with the ones you love!

No comments:

Post a Comment