Thursday, May 24, 2012

Furniture Market Finds

Last month, I experienced my first trip to the Furniture Market as a buyer.  The International Home Furnishings Market opened April 21st and ran for seven days, and I was there for five of those seven days!  The IHFC Exhibitor building is a 10-story, 261,000 square foot complex where furniture, accessories, art and rugs, and lighting exhibitors from around the world bring their goods to display and sell to more than 80,000 buyers.  The market, which comes to High Point every October and April, always provides a big boost for High Point's economy.

 While it was quite overwhelming trying to navigate my way around such a large facility, I had a good time trying.  For several months leading up to the Market, I assisted with the design of three showrooms.  I enjoyed the experience, but I must say that it was hard work!  I also worked as a receptionists for the opening day of the market at a mirror showroom.  For my first shopping day, I was accompanied by two of my daughters, who were a big help to me.  One daughter took notes as the retailers explained their products and how they worked with designers.  The other daughter took pictures of showroom samples.  Each day, I came home with a roller bag full of catalogs, and two sore feet!  I saw lots of beautiful furniture, lamps, art, linens, rugs, and accessories.  Below, is a small sampling of a few of my favorites. My daughters' favorite showroom was "Four Hands", whose big customers are "Restoration Hardware" and "Crate and Barrel".  Some of my personal favorites included "Currey and Company" lighting, "Legacy" linens, "Surya" rugs,  and "Pearson" upholstery, just to name a few.









No comments:

Post a Comment