Saturday, April 28, 2012

Field Trip

Today, I thoroughly enjoyed a field trip with my son's class to the Morehead Planetarium and Science Center located on the campus of UNC at Chapel Hill.  Before the planetarium show, we enjoyed a very entertaining science program called "Magnificent Matter",  presented by a  young man from the college.   The program, about the different states of matter, was more like a magic show with lots of audience participation, and a great way to show how fun science can be!

The planetarium show today was called, "Earth, Moon and Sun".  I have to say I learned so much as we sat there under what felt like a real night sky hearing about how the earth, moon and stars work together and explaining some of the common misconceptions about the earth and its neighboring planets and stars.  The children were so excited to be there under that tremendous night sky.  I overheard the little girl sitting next to me whisper to her friend, "I don't want this to end!"

After the show, we strolled across the beautiful campus and settled under one of the huge oak trees to enjoy a picnic lunch.  It was a beautiful day and I especially enjoyed observing my son and his classmates as they interacted with each other.  They were all thoroughly enjoying themselves.  I was very impressed with how well behaved they were for the whole trip.  As I sat there eating my lunch, I looked around at the beautiful architecture of the buildings there on the UNC campus.  I always knew that UNC had a beautiful campus, but I don't think I ever really appreciated the architectural beauty of those buildings like I did today.  Most of the buildings I saw on the campus are fine examples of Neoclassical Revival.  These buildings, inspired by the classical architecture of ancient Greece and Rome, featured porticos dominating the front facade of the buildings supported by large columns in the Corinthian, Ionic, or Doric order. Many of the buildings, including the Morehead Planetarium were crowned with a large dome which is very reminiscent of ancient Roman architecture. Others were crowned with a cupola.  Here is just a small sampling of some of the buildings.



The Playmakers Theatre was completed in 1851 for use as a library.  This Greek Revival temple
is a National Historic landmark.  The fluted columns in the Corinthian order are an outstanding
feature of this building.



The South Building's facade includes a cupola and
an Ionic portico on the south side. 

The Morehead Planetarium, one of the largest planetariums
in the United States, features this 68-foot domed Star Theater.

The Old Well is a small neoclassical rotunda that was modeled
after the Temple of Love in the Garden of Versailles.  It is the most enduring
symbol of UNC.  Legend has is that students can take a drink from the
well on the first day of classes for good luck.  

Ben is standing in front of the Post Office on Franklin Street which features
a four-columned portico with a cupola on top of the building.





What a beautiful day for a picnic under the trees!




















No comments:

Post a Comment